Orthopaedic Physiotherapy with Terry Kane
Since 1985, Terry has worked with some of the top orthopaedic surgeons, sports medicine physicians and chronic pain specialists in Canada and the United States. A graduate of the University of Toronto, former Canadian Olympic Hockey Team and Calgary Flames physiotherapist, Terry has over 30 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and designing evidenced based rehab programs for thousands of orthopaedic patients, including over 500 Olympic and professional athletes.
In 2011, Terry founded and launched Canada’s only national online Orthopaedic Network, OrthopaedicsCanada.com, that consists of over 50 orthopaedic websites across Canada.
A physician referral is not required to see Terry, all appointments are booked online and every effort is made to see patients within one week.
Terry’s practice is focused on;
- Patients with acute and chronic orthopaedic or sports related injuries.
- Patients seeking a second opinion on their condition.
- Patients questioning the probability that they require surgery.
- Patients who want to avoid surgery and looking at their options.
- Patients seeking private post-surgical physiotherapy (Terry does not provide free post-surgical physiotherapy).
Terry does not see patients with;
- Injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents.
- Injuries resulting from work-related accidents.
- Patients involved in legal litigation with respect to their injuries or condition.
The focus of Terry’s practice is;
- Private and uninterrupted appointments that are one hour in length.
- Unhurried physical assessments.
- Unhurried patient education on their condition, prognosis, timelines and evidence-based treatments.
- Safe and appropriate home and / or gym based exercise.
- If a surgical consult is indicated, Terry will make a referral to the most appropriate surgeon.
- Served as Head Physical Therapist for the Calgary Flames and Canada’s Olympic Men’s Ice Hockey Team,
- Lectured internationally on exercise based rehabilitation for over twenty years (i.e. American College of Sports Medicine, etc)
- Lectured on physical therapy for the University of Calgary Department of Orthopaedics as well as Department of Continuing Medical Education.
- Served as Injury Analysis Consultant to the National Hockey League’s Injury Analysis Panel.
- Served as a contributing developer & instructor of a MainPro-C Course on “Chronic Pain for Family Physicians” for the University of Calgary Department of Continuing Medical Education.
- Served as a contributing author “Foundations of Personal Training”: Human Kinetics, 2008 (ISBN-13:9781450441322)
- Served as editorial peer reviewer for the Physician and Sportsmedicine, the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine and Pain Research and Management Journal.
- Served a volunteer member of Alberta’s Bone and Joint Strategic Clinical Network Committee.
Terry Kane’s Professional Goals
(1) To improve the standard of clinical diagnostics, triaging and evidence-based bone and joint care in primary care practices through a collaborative and integrated model of primary care physiotherapy. .
(2) To deliver the highest standard of evidence-based physical therapy on behalf of patients, referring physicians and orthopaedic surgeons.
(3) To improve the standard of care in the multidisciplinary management of musculoskeletal conditions in Canada through improved orthopaedic triaging and adoption of evidence-based clinical care pathways.
(4) To leverage web-based technologies to improve the standard of evidence-based care among healthcare professionals in the non-surgical management of musculoskeletal conditions as well as post-surgical rehabilitation.
(5) To leverage web-based technologies to improve public awareness of evidence-based clinical pathways in the management of musculoskeletal conditions and prevention of chronic pain.
Career Path | Background
- Physical Therapist, Terry Kane Physical Therapy (1985 – present)
- Physical Therapist, Fourth Street Clinic Primary Care Clinic (2016 – present)
- Physical Therapist, Calgary West Central Primary Care Network ( August 2014 – March 2016)
- Founder, Owner, OrthopaedicsCanada.com Network (2008 – present)
- Founder, Owner, OrthopaedicProtocols.com (2008 – present)
- Physical Therapist, Copeman Healthcare, (2008 – 2011)
- Physical Therapist, Alberta Health Services, Calgary Chronic Pain Centre (2005 – 2008)
- Injury Analysis Consultant, National Hockey League (2000-2004)
- Physical Therapist, Calgary Flames (1995 – 2001)
- Owner, Physical Therapist, Achilles Physiotherapy Clinic (1993 – 1995)
- Physical Therapist, University of Calgary Sports Medicine Centre, (1990 – 1993)
- Physical Therapist, McMahon Stadium Sports Physiotherapy Clinic (1988 – 1990)
- Physical Therapist, Canadian Men’s Olympic Hockey Team (1985 – 1988)
- University of Toronto, Bachelor of Sciences (Physical Therapy) (1982-1985)
- University of Toronto, Bachelor of Physical and Health Education (1977-1981)