About Terry Kane
Terry Kane is one of Canada’s most experienced orthopaedic physiotherapists with over 30 years of clinical experience working with some of the top orthopaedic surgeons, sports medicine physicians and chronic pain specialists in Canada and the United States.
A graduate of the University of Toronto, former Canadian Olympic Hockey Team and Calgary Flames physiotherapist, Terry has over 30 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and designing evidenced based rehab programs for thousands of orthopaedic patients, including over 500 Olympic and professional athletes.
In addition, Terry has worked at the University of Calgary Sports Medicine Centre, the Calgary Chronic Pain Centre, provided primary care physiotherapy services for Calgary West Central Primary Care Network as well as consulted to the National Hockey League Injury Analysis Panel and spoken internationally on orthopaedic physical therapy and exercise rehabilitation. Terry also owns and operates OrthopaedicsCanada.com – a national directory of Canadian Orthopaedic surgeons and educational information for patients.
Terry currently works for Alberta Health Services at the East Calgary Health Centre – Family Care Clinic as well as in the office of Drs. Martin Harvey, Margot McLean and Phillip van der Merwe (Fourth Street Clinic).
Terry Kane’s Professional Goals
- To improve the standard of clinical diagnostics, triaging and evidence-based bone and joint care in primary care practices through a collaborative and integrated model of primary care physiotherapy. .
- To deliver the highest standard of evidence-based physical therapy on behalf of patients, referring physicians and orthopaedic surgeons.
- To improve the standard of care in the multidisciplinary management of musculoskeletal conditions in Canada through improved orthopaedic triaging and adoption of evidence-based clinical care pathways.
- To leverage web-based technologies to improve the standard of evidence-based care among healthcare professionals in the non-surgical management of musculoskeletal conditions as well as post-surgical rehabilitation.
- To leverage web-based technologies to improve public awareness of evidence-based clinical pathways in the management of musculoskeletal conditions and prevention of chronic pain.
Terry Kane’s Professional Experiences
- Terry is the founder and owner of Canada’s largest online directory of orthopaedic surgeons and other patient oriented content (www.orthopaedicscanada.com).
- Terry has over thirty years of clinical experience diagnosing and evidence-based treatment of patients with orthopaedic conditions in Calgary.
- Served as Head Physical Therapist for the Calgary Flames and Canada’s Olympic Men’s Ice Hockey Team.
- Lectured internationally on exercise based rehabilitation for over twenty years (i.e. American College of Sports Medicine, etc)
- Lectured on physical therapy for the University of Calgary Department of Orthopaedics as well as Department of Continuing Medical Education.
- Served as Injury Analysis Consultant to the National Hockey League’s Injury Analysis Panel.
- Served as a contributing developer & instructor of a MainPro-C Course on “Chronic Pain for Family Physicians” for the University of Calgary Department of Continuing Medical Education.
- Served as a contributing author “Foundations of Personal Training”: Human Kinetics, 2008 (ISBN-13:9781450441322)
- Served as editorial peer reviewer for the Physician and Sportsmedicine, the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine and Pain Research and Management Journal.
Career Path | Background
- Physical Therapist, Alberta Health Services – East Calgary Family Care Clinic, (2019 – present)
- Physical Therapist, Terry Kane Physical Therapy (1985 – present)
- Physical Therapist, Fourth Street Clinic Primary Care Clinic (2016 – present)
- Physical Therapist, Calgary West Central Primary Care Network ( August 2014 – March 2016)
- Founder, Owner, OrthopaedicsCanada.com Network (2008 – present)
- Founder, Owner, OrthopaedicProtocols.com (2008 – present)
- Physical Therapist, Copeman Healthcare, (2008 – 2011)
- Physical Therapist, Alberta Health Services, Calgary Chronic Pain Centre (2005 – 2008)
- Injury Analysis Consultant, National Hockey League (2000-2004)
- Physical Therapist, Calgary Flames (1995 – 2001)
- Owner, Physical Therapist, Achilles Physiotherapy Clinic (1993 – 1995)
- Physical Therapist, University of Calgary Sports Medicine Centre, (1990 – 1993)
- Physical Therapist, McMahon Stadium Sports Physiotherapy Clinic (1988 – 1990)
- Physical Therapist, Canadian Men’s Olympic Hockey Team (1985 – 1988)
- University of Toronto, Bachelor of Sciences (Physical Therapy) (1982-1985)
- University of Toronto, Bachelor of Physical and Health Education (1977-1981)