“I want to live the most active and independent lifestyle I can for as long as I can through exercise, not surgery.“
Based on over thirty years of clinical experience working with orthopaedic surgeons, sports medicine physicians and chronic pain specialists, its my been my experience that a single appointment comprised of an unhurried assessment, unhurried patient education and a home based exercise program is all that many patients need to get moving safely and feeling better.
The Joints4Life™ Program was designed to help Canadians who don’t need clinic based treatment BUT want answers to their questions and want a safe and appropriate home exercise program for their condition.
Terry Kane, Physiotherapist / Owner, OrthopaedicsCanada.com
If you’re experiencing any of the following symptoms – you really should get on a safe and appropriate exercise program.
✅ Joint discomfort or stiffness getting out of bed or getting up from sitting.
✅ Climbing or descending stairs one at a time.
✅ Difficulty walking briskly or for long distances.
✅ Difficulty getting dressed in the morning (socks, shirts)
✅ Fear of falling on ice, on stairs or in a shower.
✅ Decreased activity outside of your home.
✅ Difficulty getting in and out of a car easily.
Safe and Appropriate Exercises Only
Exercise is like any medication, it must be safe and appropriate for your medical profile or condition(s).
Just like taking the wrong medication, performing the wrong exercises for your medical profile can cause pain or create other medical problems.
Contrary to what you see on the internet, there is no single exercise program that is safe for everyone to perform.
In order to design a safe exercise program it’s critical to see an experienced orthopaedic physiotherapist who knows the difference between an “appropriate” and “inappropriate” exercise for your condition or medical profile.
The Joints4Life™ Exercise Program
The Joints4Life™ program was developed by one of Canada’s most experienced orthopaedic physiotherapists Terry Kane (Calgary), to help Canadians who don’t need clinic based treatment, but do need a safe and appropriate home based exercise program.
The Joints4Life™ program involves a private one hour uninterrupted appointment with physiotherapist Terry Kane during which time (1) you’ll be assessed and educated on self-management strategies and (2) provided with an individualized home based rehab exercise program. In order to ensure that you’re doing your exercises properly and without problems, you’ll have the opportunity to follow up with Terry as you wish.
Currently, the Joints4Life™ program is only offered in Canada by Physiotherapist Terry Kane (Calgary).
A physician referral is not required to book an appointment with Terry Kane, however if you are a physician or surgeon, you can complete a referral by clicking here.
(“Joints4Life” is protected by trademark and any unauthorized use of the trademark will be strictly enforced.)
About Terry Kane
Terry Kane is one of Canada’s most experienced orthopaedic physiotherapists with over 30 years of clinical experience working with some of the top orthopaedic surgeons, sports medicine physicians and chronic pain specialists in Canada and the United States. Terry is the founder and owner of Canada’s largest online directory of orthopaedic surgeons and other patient oriented content (www.orthopaedicscanada.com).
A graduate of the University of Toronto, former Canadian Olympic Hockey Team and Calgary Flames physiotherapist, Terry has over 30 years of clinical experience in diagnosing and designing evidenced based rehab programs for thousands of orthopaedic patients, including over 500 Olympic and professional athletes.
In addition, Terry has worked at the University of Calgary Sports Medicine Centre, the Calgary Chronic Pain Centre, provided primary care physiotherapy services for Calgary West Central Primary Care Network as well as provided home care physiotherapy services in Calgary.
The focus of Terry’s practice is;
- Private and uninterrupted appointments that are one hour in length.
- Unhurried physical assessments.
- Unhurried patient education on their condition, prognosis, timelines and evidence-based treatments.
- Safe and appropriate home and / or gym based exercise.
- If a surgical consult is indicated, Terry will make a referral to the most appropriate surgeon.
Terry Kane’s Professional Experiences
- Terry has over thirty years of clinical experience diagnosing and evidence-based treatment of patients with orthopaedic conditions in Calgary.
- Served as Head Physical Therapist for the Calgary Flames and Canada’s Olympic Men’s Ice Hockey Team.
- Lectured internationally on exercise based rehabilitation for over twenty years (i.e. American College of Sports Medicine, etc)
- Lectured on physical therapy for the University of Calgary Department of Orthopaedics as well as Department of Continuing Medical Education.
- Served as Injury Analysis Consultant to the National Hockey League’s Injury Analysis Panel.
- Served as a contributing developer & instructor of a MainPro-C Course on “Chronic Pain for Family Physicians” for the University of Calgary Department of Continuing Medical Education.
- Served as a contributing author “Foundations of Personal Training”: Human Kinetics, 2008 (ISBN-13:9781450441322)
- Served as editorial peer reviewer for the Physician and Sportsmedicine, the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine and Pain Research and Management Journal.
Terry Kane’s Professional Goals
- To improve the standard of clinical diagnostics, triaging and evidence-based bone and joint care in primary care practices through a collaborative and integrated model of primary care physiotherapy. .
- To deliver the highest standard of evidence-based physical therapy on behalf of patients, referring physicians and orthopaedic surgeons.
- To improve the standard of care in the multidisciplinary management of musculoskeletal conditions in Canada through improved orthopaedic triaging and adoption of evidence-based clinical care pathways.
- To leverage web-based technologies to improve the standard of evidence-based care among healthcare professionals in the non-surgical management of musculoskeletal conditions as well as post-surgical rehabilitation.
- To leverage web-based technologies to improve public awareness of evidence-based clinical pathways in the management of musculoskeletal conditions and prevention of chronic pain.
Career Path | Background
- Physical Therapist, Terry Kane Physical Therapy (1985 – present)
- Physical Therapist, Fourth Street Clinic Primary Care Clinic (2016 – present)
- Physical Therapist, Calgary West Central Primary Care Network ( August 2014 – March 2016)
- Founder, Owner, OrthopaedicsCanada.com Network (2008 – present)
- Founder, Owner, OrthopaedicProtocols.com (2008 – present)
- Physical Therapist, Copeman Healthcare, (2008 – 2011)
- Physical Therapist, Alberta Health Services, Calgary Chronic Pain Centre (2005 – 2008)
- Injury Analysis Consultant, National Hockey League (2000-2004)
- Physical Therapist, Calgary Flames (1995 – 2001)
- Owner, Physical Therapist, Achilles Physiotherapy Clinic (1993 – 1995)
- Physical Therapist, University of Calgary Sports Medicine Centre, (1990 – 1993)
- Physical Therapist, McMahon Stadium Sports Physiotherapy Clinic (1988 – 1990)
- Physical Therapist, Canadian Men’s Olympic Hockey Team (1985 – 1988)
- University of Toronto, Bachelor of Sciences (Physical Therapy) (1982-1985)
- University of Toronto, Bachelor of Physical and Health Education (1977-1981)